Sweeten Up Your Classroom with Chocolate Fever
Chocolate Fever is a children’s book written by Robert Kimmel Smith that tells the story of a young boy named Henry who develops an obsession with chocolate. As he consumes more and more chocolate, Henry finds himself at the center of a wild adventure that teaches him the importance of moderation and self-control.
Chocolate Fever is much more than just a fun story for kids to enjoy. It also has many educational benefits that make it a valuable addition to any classroom.
Why you should consider using the book Chocolate Fever in your classroom:
- Engaging Storyline: The first and most obvious reason to use Chocolate Fever in your classroom is that it is an engaging and entertaining story. Children love stories that transport them to new worlds and introduce them to interesting characters, and Chocolate Fever certainly delivers on that front. With its fast-paced plot, colorful cast of characters, and humorous tone, Chocolate Fever is sure to capture the attention of even the most reluctant readers. Additionally, the story’s theme of self-control and the consequences of indulgence is a valuable lesson for children to learn.
- Relevance to Health Education: Chocolate Fever provides a unique and engaging way to teach children about the importance of moderation in their eating habits. Through the story of Henry, students can learn about the effects of consuming too much sugar and unhealthy foods, and the potential consequences for their health. This is especially important at a time when childhood obesity and other diet-related illnesses are becoming more common.
- Develops Literacy Skills: Of course, reading for pleasure is only one part of the equation. As educators, we also want to ensure that our students are developing the necessary literacy skills to succeed in school and beyond. Chocolate Fever can help with that too. The book is written at a level that is accessible to most elementary school students but still contains enough challenging vocabulary and sentence structures to help them build their reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.
- Teaches Important Life Lessons: Perhaps the most valuable aspect of Chocolate Fever is the way it teaches important life lessons to children. The book’s central theme of self-control and moderation is one that is relevant to kids of all ages and is an important concept for them to grasp as they navigate the challenges of growing up. Additionally, the book touches on other important themes such as responsibility, friendship, and teamwork, all of which can help your students develop into well-rounded individuals.
- Provides Opportunities for Discussion: Chocolate Fever can provide valuable opportunities for discussion and reflection. After reading the book, you can lead your students in a conversation about the themes and lessons it contains, and encourage them to share their own experiences with self-control and moderation. This type of open dialogue can help create a safe and supportive classroom environment, where students feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and ideas with their peers.
- Integration with Other Subjects: Another reason to use Chocolate Fever in your classroom is its potential for integration with other subjects. The book can be used in language arts classes for reading comprehension and analysis, in science classes for discussions about health and nutrition, and in social studies classes for discussions about cultural attitudes toward food.
I offer a complete novel study to accompany Chocolate Fever for use in the classroom or homeschool. The unit includes both a printable format and a Google Drive™ format for use in a paperless classroom or with Google Classroom.
Try a free sample of the novel study for Chocolate Fever
You can purchase this novel study at the following locations:
Chocolate Fever is a fun, engaging, and educational book that has a lot to offer to elementary school students. By incorporating it into your classroom, you can help your students develop their literacy skills, learn important life lessons, and create a positive and supportive learning environment. So why not give it a try? Your students are sure to love it!
Try a chocolate theme by incorporating reading Chocolate Fever along with The Chocolate Touch and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
See what people are saying about the Chocolate themed novel studies by The Teaching Bank!
Save when buying all three novel studies together as a bundle!
Are you interested in reading about and sharing ideas with other educators on using children’s literature in your classroom? My goal is to bring together teachers and homeschoolers who teach grades 3-8 and use novels with their students. I’d love for you to join me to learn, share, and grow together!
Click here or the image below to join my Facebook group, Book Talk with The Teaching Bank!
*The Teaching Bank participates in the Amazon Associate Program and earns a fee from qualifying purchases made on the Amazon.com site.