As a teacher, you are always on the lookout for engaging and interesting books to share with your students. One book that should be at the top of your list is Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger by Louis Sachar. This beloved children’s book is not only entertaining but also contains important life lessons that can help students learn and grow.
Why Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger is an excellent choice for your classroom
- Engaging and Fun: Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger is a highly entertaining book that is sure to capture your students’ attention. The book is full of humorous characters and unexpected twists and turns that will keep your students engaged from start to finish.
- Promotes Critical Thinking: Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger is full of situations that require critical thinking skills. Students will have to use their reasoning skills to understand the motives of the characters and how they solve their problems.
- Helps Develop More Advanced Reading Skills: Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger is a chapter book, which requires students to read longer passages and follow a more complex storyline than a simple picture book. This can help students develop their reading skills, such as comprehension, vocabulary, and fluency. Additionally, the book includes various literary devices, such as similes, metaphors, and personification, which can help students identify and analyze these elements in their own writing.
- Teaches Life Lessons: Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger has several themes that can help students learn important life lessons. For example, the story teaches students the importance of teamwork and how everyone has something to contribute. It also teaches students to be accepting of differences and to be themselves. These lessons can be used to initiate discussions in the classroom about character traits, self-esteem, and acceptance.
- Supports Literacy Development: Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger is an excellent tool for developing students’ literacy skills. The text is written in an engaging and accessible style that will help students develop their reading and comprehension abilities.
- Provides Writing Prompts: Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger can be used to inspire writing prompts that help students develop their creative writing skills. For example, students can be asked to write a sequel to the story or to write a narrative from the perspective of a different character. They can also be asked to identify and analyze literary devices in the story or to write their own examples of these devices.
See what people are saying about the Wayside School Novel Studies by The Teaching Bank!
Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger is a highly engaging and entertaining children’s book that is perfect for the classroom. By using the book as a teaching tool, you can help your students develop important literacy skills, critical thinking abilities, and valuable life lessons. With the tips outlined in this blog post, you can optimize your use of the book and create a positive learning environment for your students.
Try a free sample of the novel study for Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger
You can purchase this novel study at the following locations:
You can also buy all three units together in a discounted bundle!
Are you interested in reading about and sharing ideas with other educators on using children’s literature in your classroom? My goal is to bring together teachers and homeschoolers who teach grades 3-8 and use novels with their students. I’d love for you to join me to learn, share, and grow together!
Click here or the image below to join my Facebook group, Book Talk with The Teaching Bank!
*The Teaching Bank participates in the Amazon Associate Program and earns a fee from qualifying purchases made on the Amazon.com site.